Friday, June 28, 2013

50D Raw ACR or Davinci Resolve ?

Which workflow is the fastest and offering the best results...

 

Some days ago my Komputerbay 64gb 1000x arrived and I was able to shoot some footage with my new 50D (it´s old but new to me) in high resolution 1580x888@24fps continuously. After that I had to bring it in a suitable format for editing. The possibilities are Adobe Camera Raw in After Effects or Davinci Resolve at the moment. I decided to try both of them and do a comparison video and check the results. 

Natural ACR grading vs. Day for Night something Davinci Resolve.
  

50D ML RAW ACR or Resolve from funky sensation on Vimeo.
 

Workflow breakdown


ACR:
Convert .raw files with RAW Magic to CinemaDNG
Import as Image Sequence to After Effects
Whitebalance adjustments and gradings
Export to Prores HQ and edit

Davinci Resolve:
Convert .raw files with RAW Magic to CinemaDNG
Import to Resolve
Choose BMD Colorspace
Purble fringing/moire workaround (see below)
Whitebalance adjustments and gradings
Export to Prores HQ and edit or edit directly in Resolve

 

Issues

ACR:
A bit more aliasing and "real" moire for my taste.

Resolve:
Noticed some weird kind of pink/magenta fringing/moire at sharp edges. After some time of research I found this tutorial: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=degEMVPLPdU It solved my problem.    
Not sure about the BMD colorspace, can´t recover the highlights like ACR does, maybe my fault (need more experiences with resolve),  waiting for an update with Canon DSLR RAW 14bit colorspace.

 

Speed

ACR:
Operates very slowly 6,5min Raw to Prores HQ took something about 3 hours export time (on my macbook i7).

Resolve:
Much faster got 2-4fps in export after heavy grading.

Lenses

12-24mm Tokina
28-300mm Sigma

 

Conclusion

For me there´s no difference in sharpness or details between ACR and Resolve. The main difference is the speed that´s why i decided to use Resolve in my next projects.








No comments:

Post a Comment